Monday, October 8, 2007

Weekend in Eugene

We traveled to Eugene over the weekend to visit Danny and Cori. We took the kids to a science museum, ate at a Hawaiian restaurant, and then the guys watched the children while Cori and I took a few hours (okay, more than a few) to go shopping. Cori introduced me to a grocery store called Trader Joe's and I now have a new love in my life!!!! For those of you who have not heard of this place, ( I think there is one in Milwaukee and my brother has one by him in Madison, but I don't think they are too popular in Wisconsin...not yet, anyway) it is a grocery store that has awesome WHOLESOME food at VERY affordable prices. I found organic sprouted whole grain bread for under $2.00!!!! Our nearest Trader Joe's is in Portland so we will be going there pretty often. As you can tell, I get excited about healthy food. I have been following a vegan diet for over two months now and I can finally say I have found what works for me... I love it!! For so many years my focus has been on losing weight, and for me, that meant following a lower carb diet and very high protein. I have recently shifted my focus to being as healthy as I possibly can be and that is what brought me to this vegan lifestyle. I have been reading a lot of books on health and nutrtion (a huge passion of mine) and I finally understand the connection between diet, health, and disease.... and the power of our choices.

So anyway, check out this store if you get the chance!! Oh, I'll try to add pictures later, I took most pics with Danny's camera and he said he will email them to me...I forgot ours!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

It sounds like you two families had fun. That's great. I read an article about Trader Joe's when it opened in Milwaukee last year and it sounded well run and unique. It is owned by a family trust of a German billionaire, Theo Albrecht, who is one of two brothers behind Aldi's. I've admired Aldi's business sense and frugality also so I'm sure I'd like Trader Joe's too! Enjoy your veganinity!